CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 8 00:36:06 UTC 2006

alan wrote:
> The gnome-volume-manager now mounts cds to "/media/{volume_name}", instead
> of "/media/cdrecorder".

It happens, I think, with all filesystems on all mountable devices, and
I think it's not actually gnome-volume-manager but something in hotplug
or one of its allies. Happens on SUSE 10 too.

For me, the entire idea of autmounting things is broken. For example
1. I insert a CD-RW to reuse. Do I want it mounted?
2. I plug in a USB2 drive. Do I want its five or ten partitions mounted?
Probably not, more likely one.
3. I'm working at a virtual console (I have twelve defind, sometimes use
more, and also use screen). Do I want anything mounted and opened at the
desktop? Probably not. Working through a stack of CDs is a pain. I used
to do things like this:
mount /mnt/cdrom && ls -l /mnt/cdrom; eject /mnt/cdrom

Hint: read the instructions for preparing for a network install of FC &
RHEL.

Now the wretched things are likely to get opened on the desktop. Worse,
I've had ISOs get opened when mounted too.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait