CDs mount to volume name

Karsten Fischer kfischer at bfki.net
Wed Feb 8 10:27:46 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2006, 11:03 +0100 schrieb Tomas Mraz:

> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 10:49 +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:
>
> > Why should you? I am pretty comfortable with that right now; but then I
> > also use a Mac, where this kind of mounting seems to be quite normal and
> > does not cause trouble. Anyway, a mount with the name like "Doom 4 for
> > Linux Disk 2 of 2" sounds much more descriptive than "cdrom", now does
> > it?
> > ;)
>
> Except when you want to use command line. The GUI (Nautilus) worked
> pretty good for normal users (displaying the volume name under the icon)
> previously without the need for such mount point names.
>
> --
> Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>

Well put. But then, how about having both? Lets say there would exist a
subdirectory within '/media' called devices, in which all devices have
their proper names? On the other hand, it might be a bit complicated,
granted.
I really don't get your point - why shouldn't I use something like
'ls /media/Doom_for_Linux' instead of 'ls /media/cdrom'? If somebody
does create an application which is shipped on CD why should the
aforementioned installer fail (like posted in the post earlier)? This
behaviour is completely consistent with Fedora's boot-process (ahem,
within grub, of course), where, instead of an device like '/dev/sda' the
root-device is identified using its label, adding a lot of flexibility
(or, could add, since grub itself needs its own device-map, hope it can
get rid of it :)

I agree that for now this is an issue - but I personally think things
should shift towards using descriptive names for mount points, even on
the command line. If somebody sees 'Doom for Linux' in the GUI, it makes
searching for that specific CD easier even on the command line in the
end, especially if you have - like i do - a couple of different CD/DVD
devices attached to your box, most of them via FireWire or USB2...

--
Karsten Fischer