default startup order for firewall and yum-updateonboot

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:19:47 UTC 2006

The default startup order has firestarter starting up after yum-updateonboot
(both from Fedora Linux Extras.)  If you haven't booted up the system in
awhile, and yum-updateonboot is taking a considerable amount of time
updating,, you are vulnerable for the entire time yum-updateonboot is
working.

I have had my system updating for over an hour a few times in the last
couple weeks while booting, and if say, the system were vulnerable to a
rapidly spreading worm on the internet, you would be unecessarilly exposed
for that entire time, whereas if firestarter came up first, you would at
least have a reasonable chance of being protected by your firewall policy
while the system is updating.

Cpl Montleon
USMC