CDs mount to volume name

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Wed Feb 8 14:16:04 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 7:36 pm, John Summerfied wrote:
> Yesterday 7:36:06 pm
>

> alan wrote:
> > The gnome-volume-manager now mounts cds to "/media/{volume_name}",
> > instead of "/media/cdrecorder".
>
> It happens, I think, with all filesystems on all mountable devices, and
> I think it's not actually gnome-volume-manager but something in hotplug
> or one of its allies. Happens on SUSE 10 too.

While generic labels can be convenient, I find it very useful for maintaining
backups using usb enclosure mounted hard drives.   I can test for correct
destination at the top of the script, and not wreck havoc if the wrong volume
was spun up.  [They all look about the same from the outside.]

For installation, it makes identifying the inserted disk a simple test of
[ -d /media/super_project_x ]

Cheers

jp