CDs mount to volume name

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 9 00:04:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:30:53AM +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2006, 15:22 -0700 schrieb Michal Jaegermann:
>
> > I still scratch my head what you are gaining by mounting removable
> > media at some pseudo-random locations.  They are effectively random
> > as a volume name is not apparent from a shape of some CD.  It may
> > even be empty.  As it was noted on a desktop you have a label with
> > that volume name anyway.
> >

> Ease of use in the end, that is the gain, at least from a certain
> perspective.

Specific examples, please.  Or you have to be kidding.

> so that I can access the given volume without the knowledge
> about on which physical drive it is actually inserted,

A name of a mountpoint does not change here anything.  If you browse
through a desktop you simply do not care.  But like you were told
before - your music player, and score of other programs you would
rather not reconfigure with every media change,  may care quite a
bit.

> Everything else is a bit like Windows, where
> everything seems to be around drive C:\ or D:\ and so on.

This is a very bad joke again.  Right?

   Michal