CDs mount to volume name

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Fri Feb 10 13:32:42 UTC 2006

Karsten Fischer <kfischer at bfki.net> on 02/10/2006 05:01 AM added:

> Am Donnerstag, den 09.02.2006, 09:14 -0700 schrieb Michal Jaegermann:

> > > Easily. I put in a media called "Tax2005" and its is mounted
> > > on /media/Tax2005, regardless of which drive
> > > (DVD-ROM,CD-ROM,DVD/CD-Writer, CD-Writer) I use.
> >
> > In other words depending on which CD, and in which order you stuck
> > in one of your multiple drives (volume labels are far from unique)
> > you are looking for your data in different places in a directory
> > treee.  Extreme consistency indeed.
>
> Really? I put in the CD "Tax2005" - let me check this, yes - and it is
> mounted, every time, on every device, as /media/Tax2005. So instead of
> looking in /media/cdrecorder0 or /media/cdrecorder1 I look
> in /media/Tax2005.

And when I get that CD from my co-worker, or a customer, and put it in
my drive, I have no idea what directory to look for.  I now have to
scan '/media' looking for a change...
...Oh that must be where to find the files (this time).
Every CD I get will be in a different spot and every time I'm going to
have to go a hunting, even thought its always in the same physical and
logical drive.

Give me the good old days... it was a whole lot more intuitive,
not to mention convienient.

This sounds similar to a problem I had with logical volumes a few weeks
ago....

I was migrating from FC3 to FC4, so I installed FC4 onto a new drive,
and then wanted to mount my old FC3 drive, and copy over my personal
files.  But with the LVM turned on by default, I had no idea what to
mount.  And because it had the same volume name/group as the existing
FC4 drive, I couldn't figure out how to add a second volume group to
the system.  Especially since the one I was trying to add had the same
name as the one already running.  The documentation didn't help, and
between me and and associate, we never figured out how to accomplish
the job.  Fortunately I had a backup of my data, because by the end
of the attempt, my old FC3 disk had been trashed.

Moral of the story... I no longer use the default of LVM, because
it gets in the way, by trying to be too cutesy with names rather
than raw devices.

On the other hand, _maybe_ there was a way to do it, but dammed it we
could figure it out from the documentation.  :-(