CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 10 12:07:10 UTC 2006

John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 03:03, Karsten Fischer wrote:
>

>>Easily. I put in a media called "Tax2005" and its is mounted
>>on /media/Tax2005, regardless of which drive
>>(DVD-ROM,CD-ROM,DVD/CD-Writer, CD-Writer) I use.
>

> And for your use that is a good thing.  Been lurking on this thread and
> pondering.  I think everyone is seeing a part of the elephant.  I'd like
> to back up and try to see the whole critter.
>
> Way I see it there are a variety of competing visions here, none of
> which satify everyone. But when we boil it down we are looking at the
> problem of what to do with removable media.  These are the factors I see
> going into the decision process:
>
> 1.  The volume name
>
> 2.  The device the media is inserted into.  For this purpose we must
> count USB ports individually as devices, probably even allow for ports
> on hubs to be declared a seperate 'device.'

Take a look at the subject line. We're primarily discussing CDs (amd
DVDs which are in all relevant respects the same as CDs).

The question of what to do with USB media is different in several respects:
USB media are relativly few in number. I regularly buy magazines with
CDs or DVDs attached: I have dozens, maybe hundreds, of those. I note
that blank CD and DVD media are sold in spindles of up to 100. In
contrast, I have about four USB disk enclosures with notebook or desktop
drives inside, and one USB2 flash drive. The filesystem labels on those
are mostly my choice, and I have no problem recalling that my flash
drive gets mounted at /media/USB_DISK.

The CDs and DVDs filesystem labels are chosen by the person who prepares
the ISO file, and there are three ways I obtain them:
1. Incidentally to the purchase of a magazine or book to which they are
attached. We might as well include commercial software here as the
significant difference is which, the media or other materials, is of
primary value.
2. Burned from ISOs downloaded, whether they contain Linux, *BSD, or the
latest firmware for my Acer laptop (yes, the firmware comes on an image
which is to be burned to CD)
3. Self-created images, such as for backup or data transfer.

In the first two case I have no control over the filesystem name, and
unless and until I mount the media I have no way of finding out.

In the third case I don't usually bother using a volume label as the
essential info is what I write on the disk (write-once) or the label I
insert in the case (RW media).

I reiterate: as I see it the requirements for CDs and DVDs on the one
hand and USB media on the other hand are different. The latter, I the
owner control, whereas in the case of the former, I the owner do not
control and generally don't know.

Showing the volume label on the desktop is a different question, and my
answer to that is that it's a fine thing to do. It happens after it's
mounted.

--

Cheers
John