CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 10 12:19:13 UTC 2006

John Pearson wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2006 5:52 pm, John Summerfied wrote:

>>>Your point is well taken.  I will have to check, but is controlling the
>>>volume name, i.e. 'cdrom', sufficient to guarantee a known mount?
>>
>>No.
>>It does not happen that way, with CDs or DVDs, on FC3 or RHEL 4, and
>>RHEL 4 and before will be here for years to come. Heck, RHL 7.3 is still
>>around (and supported by Fedora Legacy).
>

> My base personal machine is running FC4; but it was originally built, 3 sets
> of hardware ago, with RH 7.3.  The combination dvd player/cdrecorder has
> always mounted as /media/cdrecorder.  The base server machine is running FC3,

It must be RHL 7.3 Special Edition then. Here's my fairly fresh RHL 7.3
system:
[summer at Pelican summer]$ rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release
redhat-release-7.3-1
[summer at Pelican summer]$ ls -d /m*
drwxr-xr-x    4 root         4096 Jan  3 08:39 /mnt
[summer at Pelican summer]$

No /media directory you note. Nor was there on 6.2, 5.{0,1,2} nor RHL
4.{0,1,2} noe RHL 3.0.3. I used them all; probably 6.0 and 6.1 too,
though I can't recall for sure.

--

Cheers
John