CDs mount to volume name

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 11 02:10:06 UTC 2006

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:

> And when I get that CD from my co-worker, or a customer, and put it in
> my drive, I have no idea what directory to look for.  I now have to
> scan '/media' looking for a change...
> ...Oh that must be where to find the files (this time).
> Every CD I get will be in a different spot and every time I'm going to
> have to go a hunting, even thought its always in the same physical and
> logical drive.
>
> Give me the good old days... it was a whole lot more intuitive,
> not to mention convienient.

Naming the mountpoint by the label or volume name is not a smart
practice. The only effect this has is to make using the cli less easy. I
  label the discs that I make with rather long titles and would not like
to type /media/Customer one system backup from 2/10/2006 with all the
escape characters in order to change directories. Typing cd
/media/cdrecorder and typing ls to list the files is a better idea.
I do like this information displayed on the desktop with the label though.

> This sounds similar to a problem I had with logical volumes a few weeks
> ago....
>
> I was migrating from FC3 to FC4, so I installed FC4 onto a new drive,
> and then wanted to mount my old FC3 drive, and copy over my personal
> files.  But with the LVM turned on by default, I had no idea what to
> mount.  And because it had the same volume name/group as the existing
> FC4 drive, I couldn't figure out how to add a second volume group to
> the system.  Especially since the one I was trying to add had the same
> name as the one already running.  The documentation didn't help, and
> between me and and associate, we never figured out how to accomplish
> the job.  Fortunately I had a backup of my data, because by the end
> of the attempt, my old FC3 disk had been trashed.
>
> Moral of the story... I no longer use the default of LVM, because
> it gets in the way, by trying to be too cutesy with names rather
> than raw devices.

I noticed a problem someone was having on the Fedora-list with an lvm
system with the same labels and LVM information for the disk he inserted
into a USB enclosure then tried to access the information. I could not
help him with the recovery of his data with the two exactly labeled LVMs.
I was able to recover my data from an LVM from a disk inserted into a
USB enclosre on a system with regular partitions. I had to activate the
LVMs and then manually mount the partions to directories that I had to
create for mountpoints. If you still have a disk with the LVM install,
you might be able to recover data from it using a traditionally
partitoned system.

> On the other hand, _maybe_ there was a way to do it, but dammed it we
> could figure it out from the documentation.  :-(

There could be a way, borrowing from the /media/crazy\ wacked\ out\
concept\ for\ volume\ names\ in\ media/

Performing ls on the directory is really impressive. Do I have this many
directories or is one of them a name?

[root at cornette-lt media]# ls
cdrecorder  crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media  usbdisk

Ah! Let's use ls -la!
  ls -la
total 40
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 Feb 10 21:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Feb 10 18:32 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jan  6 06:08 cdrecorder
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Feb 10 21:00 crazy wacked out concept for
volume names in media
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jan  6 06:08 usbdisk

No let's change to 'crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media'
directory.
cd crazy\ wacked\ out\ concept\ for\ volume\ names\ in\ media/

[root at cornette-lt crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media]# pwd
/media/crazy wacked out concept for volume names in media

LVM problems:

If LVM disks in USB enclosures are mounted, they could be inherit an
appending to the volume group with a usb extension. Either that or
random numbers for the volume groups could be used in the future for LVM
naming. (8-character)

--
Learn from other people's mistakes, you don't have time to make your own.