Not sure how to do this - any help would be appreciated (wireless lan)

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 10:08:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've found how to get the inbuilt WLAN to work on my Toshiba A10 by
following the advice at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/2276/sort/2/cat/all/page/1

The problem is two fold here. The first is that I could do with having
the three modules autoloaded on boot each time I fire up the machine. I
know I can put them into mod* in /etc, but it looks like the device
needs 3 modules, so setting something like alias orinoco_cs sit0 can't
happen (unless all 3 modules can be put on the alias or something like
that).

Is it just a case of adding modprobe hermes, orinoco and orinoco_cs and
then aliasing orinoco_cs to sit0?

Secondly, I'm a bit bemused on how to use iwconfig. Can I just select
auto (the man page looks like I can) which will just pick everything
that is open up?

Before someone says this is the test list - yes, I know it is. The
machine the wlan is on is a laptop running rawhide so the answer may not
be the same for the testing kernel and setup as it is for FC < 5

TTFN

Paul
--
"wir kamen, wir sahen, wir traten ihren Esel" - Dr Venkman, Ghostbusters