Shutting Beagle et. al. up

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Mon Feb 13 12:43:42 UTC 2006

I just did a fresh install of FC5T2 and now I keep getting mails from
cron about the output from Beagle running against the log files.

I'd like to ask developers to follow the mantra of "Don't bother root
with unimportant stuff" - a process should NOT mail root about routine
stuff, otherwise root gets inundated with so many messages the important
ones get lost in the noise.

I couldn't find any other way to shut beagle up than redirecting the
cron job's output to /dev/null - which means now that if it really DOES
have something to tell me I will not see it.

It would be really nice if there were a nice simple GUI for managing the
messages to root - something that could allow programs to plug in to it
and be configured, so that root could tell logwatch, beagle, and so on
"don't bother me about these things - tell me when something IMPORTANT
happens."