A couple of rawhide surprises

Jonathan Corbet lwn-fedora-test at lwn.net
Mon Feb 13 20:38:20 UTC 2006

I did the massive update on my x86-64 rawhide box today.  The resulting
system would not boot.  It seems that the update changes rc.sysinit,
taking out the lines which mount /proc and /sys.  It's amazing how badly
the system does without those filesystems...it can't even get into
single-user mode.  Let's hear it for rescue disks.

Putting the mount lines back into rc.sysinit makes things work again,
but I assume this change was made for a reason?  Is there somthing in
the Fedora kernel now which mounts those filesystems automatically?  If
so, people (like me) running mainline kernels will get a surprise.

I also got this message, as reported by one other:

	 Cannot find or run the base Xsession script.
	 Running the GNOME failsafe session instead.

jon