A couple of rawhide surprises

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 21:29:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 02:08:14PM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
 > One of Fedora's goals
 > is to work with a mainline kernel, as I recall;

To clarify, the only kernel related goal is for the Fedora kernel
to stay as close as possible to mainline.  There will be times
when you absolutely _must_ run a Fedora kernel for correct operation.

See for example the time that upstream had issues with SELinux & tmpfs.
We carried a patch fixing that in the Fedora kernel so that we could
ship FC3 on time.  It didn't get into mainline until a month later.
And because of this, people building their own kernels did hit problems.

Sometimes things break, and distro kernels shield users from that.
Giving it all up to go it alone with mainline kernels means sacrificing that.

If you're building your own kernels, you have to know what to expect.
(That's a general statement, not specifically aimed at you, as I'm
 well aware you have a very good handle on what to expect from
 kernel-de-jour :-)

 > 	- Would the person sending challenge-response messages to
 >           fedora-test postings (that would appear to be
 >           eorgan945.sspam at uol.com.br) please stop?

Forwarded autoresponder. No-one is listening, nothing list-admins
can do about it.

		Dave