DNS resolving problems

Stelian Iancu stelian.iancu at gmx.net
Thu Feb 16 02:08:36 UTC 2006

> Hi Stelian -

Hello, please see my comments inside.

> We'd need some more details to be able to advise :
>
> 1. How is your resolver set up ?
>
>   Are you using only /etc/resolv.conf and the glibc resolver,
>   or are you running a local caching-nameserver (named) ?

Only resolv.conf, no named.

>   Are you using NetworkManager ?

Yes, but only starting from today. Yesterday I've updated from FC5 Test
2 to rawhide and, before that, in FC5 Test 2 I didn't use NetworkManager
and the behavior was the same.

BTW, I am using a wireless connection (I don't know if it's relevant or
not).

>   Are you using nscd ?

No.

>   What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf 'hosts:' line say ?

hosts:      files dns

> 2. Please quantify the problem - send us the /tmp/tcpdump.dns.log created by:
>   # tcpdump -vvv -ttt -nl -s 8192 -i any port domain >/tmp/tcpdump.dns.log 2>&1 &
>   # host a.name.that.takes.a.long.time.to.resolve
>   # pkill tcpdump

I've ran tcpdump with the syntax you've provided (I hope I did it
correctly :-), here is the log. It seemed pretty fast to me (to resolve
redhat.com), however, once I try it in Firefox, for example, it takes a
much longer time.

> NOTE: previous response to this issue:
>   On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:53, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
> >  Is the code waiting for timeout of non-existent IP6 routing?
> >  If so, then disable IP6.
>   This problem has been fixed for a long time in BIND, and should not be
>   a problem with glibc resolver - do you have any resolv.conf options settings ?

I don't have any resolv.conf options settings, only the nameserver
line.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Jason Vas Dias
> BIND package maintainer