Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 16 03:16:45 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 21:16 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> I noticed that the power manager is starting to be pretty much a battery
>> applet with a few less features. What is this crippling supposed to
>> accomplish?
>
> The only thing I see missing is the options to suspend or hibernate.

There were items in properties where you could adjust the actions taken
for certain situations like closing the display lid. I selected for the
action for closing the lid to do nothing. I really don't use the
hibernate or suspend feature myself. I still however would like to be
able to disable or enable the way power management works on my laptop in
a fairly intuitive manner. I would not know now as to how to adjust the
actions if I changed my mind or if something was changed in my
configuration because of an update.

> Suspend has moved to the system menu,

I don't see the selection on the menu. I see lock screen, logout and
shutdown.

  and hibernate is gone I do believe
> because it is quite broken on a lot of systems currently.

Hibernate is broken on my system also. It does no noticeable damage with
the short cycling back to a live system again. Suspend on the other hand
results in an unstable system and an fsck on reboot.

>> A few days ago, I knew how to prevent closing the display lid on my
>> laptop w/o having it go into suspend. today, I am at a loss to how to
>> change my power management settings.
>
> System -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Power Management.  Also
> left or right click on gnome-power-manager and select Preferences.  Same
> app.

The features where one could change the action for closing the laptop
display are missing on both this location and on the right or left click
on the applet and choosing properties. I end up with the same properties
adjustments available. (not very many options as before).

>> I know that there were bug reports requesting removal of the options on
>> computers that are presently incapable of successfully going into
>> suspend or into hibernate. It does not seem rationale for settings to
>> not be easily manageable as if the obstacles preventing those that have
>> problems on their systems presently because of lack of resolution in the
>> development arena are slower than would be expected.
>>
>> Removing the features seems like a move to stifle legitimate bug reports
>> and hide a legitimate failure on the power management scene.
>>
>> I hope to see reversal of the degradation of the power manager to yet
>> another battery charge indicator.
>
> Again, the only thing I see gone is the suspend/hibernate options.

I figured that I would see if these missing features could be
re-instated with the configuration manager and noticed that the same
state held true for the editor. It was more cryptic but was not very
customizable.

Though this change is nothing to become extremely upset with. I was
upset enough to contemplate trying out other desktops because of
foreseen advancements going into rather worthless and barely
configurable states. I tried KDE for a short spell and noticed it was
not much more configurable or feature rich. I switched back to gnome,
but am upset with regressions from pretty decent feature premieres.

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully gnome-power-manager becomes more of
a manager and not just a figurehead.

Jim