Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 03:41:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 22:16 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 21:16 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >> I noticed that the power manager is starting to be pretty much a battery
> >> applet with a few less features. What is this crippling supposed to
> >> accomplish?
> >
> > The only thing I see missing is the options to suspend or hibernate.
>
> There were items in properties where you could adjust the actions taken
> for certain situations like closing the display lid. I selected for the
> action for closing the lid to do nothing. I really don't use the
> hibernate or suspend feature myself. I still however would like to be
> able to disable or enable the way power management works on my laptop in
> a fairly intuitive manner. I would not know now as to how to adjust the
> actions if I changed my mind or if something was changed in my
> configuration because of an update.

This is still there for me.  Has hal crashed (since in that case, it
would probably not show things).  Alternately, are you running the
newest SELinux policy (which has fixes for changes in how HAL works)

> > Suspend has moved to the system menu,
>
> I don't see the selection on the menu. I see lock screen, logout and
> shutdown.

Have you logged out since upgrading to gnome-panel-2.13.90-3 or later?

>   and hibernate is gone I do believe
> > because it is quite broken on a lot of systems currently.
>
> Hibernate is broken on my system also. It does no noticeable damage with
> the short cycling back to a live system again. Suspend on the other hand
> results in an unstable system and an fsck on reboot.

Hibernate should be fixed in the 1955 kernel tomorrow (which will also
be in test3)

Jeremy