Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 16 04:29:06 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>> There were items in properties where you could adjust the actions
>> taken for certain situations like closing the display lid. I
>> selected for the action for closing the lid to do nothing. I really
>> don't use the hibernate or suspend feature myself. I still however
>> would like to be able to disable or enable the way power management
>> works on my laptop in a fairly intuitive manner. I would not know
>> now as to how to adjust the actions if I changed my mind or if
>> something was changed in my configuration because of an update.
>

> This is still there for me.  Has hal crashed (since in that case, it
> would probably not show things).  Alternately, are you running the
> newest SELinux policy (which has fixes for changes in how HAL works)

You were correct that HAL was DOA. I changed to permissive and started
haldaemon and checked properties again. The choices were once again
visible. (minus the hibernate/suspend menu.)

>>> Suspend has moved to the system menu,
>>
>> I don't see the selection on the menu. I see lock screen, logout
>> and shutdown.
>

> Have you logged out since upgrading to gnome-panel-2.13.90-3 or
> later?

I logged out, switched to kde and then back to gnome. I still do not see
the suspend option. I will forcibly kill the server and see if a respawn
shows the suspend choice afterwards.

>> and hibernate is gone I do believe
>>
>>> because it is quite broken on a lot of systems currently.
>>
>> Hibernate is broken on my system also. It does no noticeable damage
>> with the short cycling back to a live system again. Suspend on the
>> other hand results in an unstable system and an fsck on reboot.
>

> Hibernate should be fixed in the 1955 kernel tomorrow (which will
> also be in test3)

Great news! Thanks!

--
It's the same old story; boy meets beer, boy drinks beer... boy gets
another beer.