Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 16:39:35 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> ideas born from a strong cup of morning coffee:
>
> One button on the menu which pulls up a timed dialog with 5 buttons
> cancel,reboot,shutdown,suspend  and configure.

With the exception of the configure button, that's essentially what
the shutdown dialog looked like that came up last night when I powered
off.  I am curious about one thing, though.  What was wrong with the
radio button dialog that Gnome had before?  Is there a benefit in
having multiple buttons?  Is space is an issue, there is always a
drop-down list box.

> Have the default timed action in the dialog be configurable so people
> who commonly suspend make suspend their default, people who most
> commonly reboot make reboot their default and so on... and make the
> length of time to wait for dialog interaction configurable.

Why not just remember the last choice and be done with it?  No
configuration dialog.  Maybe make it configurable in some file if you
would prefer to always default to one choice and manually change when
you need to do something else.

> Make the text of single menu item which brings up the dialog match the
> text of the default configured action to some degree, have the tooltip
> be more verbose about what the one menu item can do.

I think in FC4 the Logout option brought up the dialog for logout,
shutdown, or reboot.

> Choose a default choice for action and timeout by paper rock scissors
> or thunderdome death match. On the first run of the timed dialog for
> any user account also pop up the configure dialog(if the system admin
> hasn't locked down this configuration choice) so the user can choose
> which default action the menu button will take and be made aware that
> it can be reconfigured later without any real hassle.

Huh?  I don't quite follow you.  Paper rock scissors?  I don't really
see a point in having a configuration dialog, as mentioned above.  I
think either one default or remember last would fit most everyone's
needs.

Jonathan