Bling!

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 17:35:56 UTC 2006

Hi,
> I followed the steps as listed in the first email of this thread (plus
> the selinux suggestion later on), with the only deviation being that
> sed -i -e 's/Xorg/Xair/g' /usr/share/gdm/config/gdm.conf-custom didn't
> work, so I created a /usr/share/gdm/config folder and then touched
> gdm.conf-custom and then ran the command.  Not sure if that's wrong to
> do.
> I do indeed get drop shadows and a bunch of solid white windows, and
> an earlier email said that might be because I'm using Xorg instead of
> Xair.  However, I removed /usr/bin/X and made a symlink
> to /usr/bin/Xair.  Was that not the right way to make sure Xair is
> working?
So with the latest rawhide, gdm's configuration file has moved to
/etc/gdm/custom.conf

Add something like this to it:

[servers]
0=Xair

[server-Xair]
name=Accelerated Indirect server
command=/usr/bin/Xair -audit 0

If you already have a [servers] section, change what's already there
instead of adding a second entry (but still add the [server-Xair]
section.

Then run /usr/sbin/gdm-restart as root

Note, it appears all x86-64 users get the white boxes no matter what.
That bug is being worked on.

--Ray