Bling!

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Feb 16 17:57:43 UTC 2006

Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>I followed the steps as listed in the first email of this thread (plus
>>the selinux suggestion later on), with the only deviation being that
>>sed -i -e 's/Xorg/Xair/g' /usr/share/gdm/config/gdm.conf-custom didn't
>>work, so I created a /usr/share/gdm/config folder and then touched
>>gdm.conf-custom and then ran the command.  Not sure if that's wrong to
>>do.
>>I do indeed get drop shadows and a bunch of solid white windows, and
>>an earlier email said that might be because I'm using Xorg instead of
>>Xair.  However, I removed /usr/bin/X and made a symlink
>>to /usr/bin/Xair.  Was that not the right way to make sure Xair is
>>working?
>
> So with the latest rawhide, gdm's configuration file has moved to
> /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Is there any particular reason gdm (and kdm for that matter) don't
simply default to /usr/bin/X?  It's supposed to be the default X
server, which seems a better way to handle it IMHO.  Then one merely
need point the /usr/bin/X symlink to the server of choice, in theory
at least.

We don't have anything for managing the symlink currently (Xconfigurator
used to do that), but it could be done manually by hand.  Or someone
could whip up a craptastic python GUI system-config-xserver-symlink
or switchx or somesuch.  ;)

> Note, it appears all x86-64 users get the white boxes no matter what.
> That bug is being worked on.

X on x86_64 has been a bit rough around the edges in 7.0 thus far,
but hopefully smooths out soon.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.