Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Don Springall don_springall at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:26:30 UTC 2006

>From: Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>
>To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
><fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!
>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:52:36 -0500
>
>On 2/16/06, Don Springall <don_springall at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My point being there does not seem to be any management of the
> > features being released or the timing of them.
>
>I really don't know what you are up in arms about.  This feature was
>added on monday's rawhide push...so it made the freeze deadline.
>Changes after the deadline will need to have a "damn good reason".
>"damn good reason" can and will include reverting features which are
>considered broken.  I really don't understand why you consider this a
>problem in how things are being managed...the feature made it in by
>the deadline.
>
>-jef

It may have made it in under the wire but I am betting a lot of people did
not notice it until yesterday. It took many of us quite a while to get 1.3
gigs installed. The freeze was delayed to Monday to get gcc 4.1 changes in.
I think sneaking this in was a mistake. Now a lot of people will be testing
suspend. On my system it goes into suspend okay but does not wake up
properly all the time.  I will tell you tomorrow how long my battery lasts
on suspend. My point still is that one week for a significant change like
this is not good. Rawhide is more stable now than test 2 but it still does
not feel solid to me.  Performance is still not good and gnome feels rather
sluggish at times.

I think we should be concentrating on performance and bug fixes right now,
not new feature testing. Again could they have not waited one lousy week to
try this out ?

My apologies if my reply got posted twice, my isp is unreliable at the
moment and keeps dropping my connection.