Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 03:56:26 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Stephen J. Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say yes.. that would be the best bet for many of these neutral
> items. The word GNOME and KDE have become very heavy in the
> brain of a lot of people.

Sad but true.  I would imagine over time that the neutralish bits of
gnome-screensaver will be put into a neutralish named package as kde
and gnome converge towards the same neutralish solution at the
developer level just to keep users from freaking out for having
something named gnome on their gnome desktopless system.

The same sort of thing happens at the application level. I've seen
complaints about the "evolution-data-server" package being installed
even though "evolution" isn't.

I bet Fedora Directory Server and any other Fedora branded codebases
will run into the same sort of brainwave impendance if they make the
leap to wide distribution.

-jef