Rawhide -- Cannot run amaroK (Bug #178262 -- libGL.so.1: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires)

Wes Shull wes.shull at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:10:55 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are two Livna libraries that trigger the problem:
> /usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.so: cannot enable executable stack as
> shared object requires: Permission denied
> /usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libbscope.so: cannot enable executable
> stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

It's not just the "2nd"/3rd party repos; I've been alpha testing the
Linux Second Life client, and I have to chcon -t textrel_shlib_t and
some execstack -c as well on their libs to get the thing to run.

The execstack thing I can see being something that needs to be changed
in their build process so the libs are flagged right, but what's the
right way to handle setting SELinux file contexts when installing
external programs?  Is there some way they can/should be building
these such that they don't need relocation?  Are they going to have to
provide a special install script that sets proper contexts on the libs
at runtime?  Or should they be using star instead of tar?  (Does
textrel_shlib_t even make sense universally in all SELinux setups?)
How do you convince distributors of 3rd-party programs to take SELinux
into account when it's still a tiny fraction of the (already tiny)
Linux userbase?

Unfortunately it's problems like these that are probably inhibiting
the use of SELinux outside the server space most.  I know I've been
turning SELinux completely off since FC2 rawhide era, and only in the
last month or so have been brave enough to try it, and it has not been
fun.

--wes