Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 19:24:39 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I'm sure these particular Gnome developers mean well, and I don't see
> the point in getting angry at them.

Well, all the screensavers that take images from a user specified
directory are broken by the current system, afaict.

> I agree that neither of the reasons they list are very good. Having
> one extra button to open a second dialogue hardly clutters the UI, and
> makes it no harder for the user. To let system admins lock down
> settings, they should simply provide a "Don't show or let users open
> advanced controls." key. I think it's still a good concept to provide
> multiple variations of some of the screensavers in the list, but
> that's not mutually exclusive to allowing advanced controls.

Yes, I agree.  What I find upsetting is that this is such an
obvious solution to many usability issues in Gnome and yet
this approach is not getting implemented.  Much of my
frustration would vanish if I saw signs that this reasonable
attitude to empowering users was adopted.  If you are
capable of making this case and triggering a shift, you will
have my profound gratitude.

Here a similar situation:
Gnome has given us "Spatial" browsing versus Hierarchical file
browsing.   Why can't I make all my folder icons default to
"Browse Hierarchically?"  The functionality is there, but only
if I right-click on a folder icon and select "Browse Folder."
This is buried functionality and clunky UI.
I like the "Spatial" UI for its presentation of media files and
actions, but it breaks down for file browsing.  I really dislike
cluttering my desktop with folder windows.

Yes, I know that there are avid fans of the "Spatial" UI,
but please let me choose defaulting to hierarchical directory
browsing.

Another example is the current system of theming the Gnome
desktop.  If you look at the available themes, there are loads
of themes that are exactly the same, but have different color
schemes.  I remember when this was getting implemented.
I kept suggesting that the developers allow users to simply
colorize the themes.  This was rejected because it would
allow newbies to create color schemes that broke the
usability (unreadable text, etc).  I did my best to explain
that there were ways around these problems, but my
arguments were rejected.  Now I will have to appeal to some
developer to create my favorite screensaver settings and
add it to the list.  I have to appeal to a developer to give
me the theme settings I want.  How usable it that?

> If someone presents a well-formed and polite request for them to allow
> advanced settings, I think we could get further in resolving this
> issue.

I have tried conversing with the developers in bug reports at Gnome.org,
in e-mail and forums in years past.  At one time I was one of the most
prolific reporters of bugs for Gnome (~450 for Evolution, alone, and
Ximian gave me a PalmPilot VII as a gift).  I have not been some sort
of screaming loony.  When the "simplify the UI at all costs" mania hit,
and after many fruitless attempts to get them to consider preserving
options for users, I gave up and went to using KDE for a couple of
years.

     Miles