Custom patches for a kernel build?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:31:08 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is probably a fairly simple question, but it's not something
> I've had to tackle before. I'm playing with home automation, and I'm
> trying to get the ADUtux driver working - which means I need to
> compile a kernel module.
>
> I've put up a howto on this at: http://www.crc.id.au/ontrak-adu-218-
> on-linux/
>
> When I wrote this however, I used the kernel source from a .tar.bz2
> file - not using an RPM as source. Is there a way I can rebuild a
> kernel from source, and still use said patches?

Sure.  Setup a build environment in your home dir (so you don't have
to be root and work in /usr/src/redhat/):
# yum install fedora-rpmdevtools
$ fedora-buildrpmtree

Get the kernel src.rpm and install it with:
$ rpm -ivh kernel*src.rpm
This will unpack it into the rpm tree you setup before.  The sources
will go into ~/redhat/SOURCES/  Drop your patches into that directory.
 Then edit the kernel .spec file in ~/redhat/SPECS/ to add your
patches.  You can also make changes to the appropriate config file if
needed.  Then:
$ rpmbuild -ba ~/redhat/SPECS/kernel.spec
(I don't remember if kernel.spec is the name of the file or not) to
build the rpm and new src.rpm (-bb for just the rpm).

Note that also, in many cases, you can build kernel modules without
having to rebuild the entire kernel.  I don't know if that is the case
here or not, nor am I that familiar with how to do that : ).  Oh, b y
the way, (in reference to your how-to) I don't think you used kernel
1.6.14.2 ; ).

Jonathan