HAL problems with floppy drives

William Shotts bshotts at panix.com
Sun Feb 19 17:00:14 UTC 2006

> On 2/19/06, William Shotts <bshotts at panix.com> wrote:
>> Another troublsome situation arises when a USB drive is attached at boot
>> time.  In that case, the device is mounted but root seems to own the
>> device and the user is unable to umount it.  Is this intentional?
>

> I'm not seeing this behavior on my system.  Is there an fstab entry
> that corresponds to that device on your system. There shouldn't be..
> but if there is that could explain the root owned automount that's
> happening before desktop login.

No, there are no such entries in fstab, however another thing I just
discovered is that the problem does not affect all USB devices.  The
problem seems not to occur with my USB flash drive but does affect my
120GB USB hard disk.  After reboot and login media looks like this:

[bshotts at twin7 ~]$ ls -l /media
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 bshotts root 16384 Dec 31  1969 disk
drwxr-xr-x 4 root    root  4096 Feb 18 16:04 usb-ext3

"disk" is a 16MB USB pen drive and "usb-ext3" is the hard drive.