todays rawhide - feedback

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 20 00:07:41 UTC 2006

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> --- Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

>> Yeah, for example on a system that doesn't suspend properly, but
>> all you're offered is the opportunity to suspend.
>>
>> Once FC5t3 is out I'm going to do some serious looking into why my
>> very recent Dell Inspiron 9300 doesn't suspend (or hibernate), but
>> even so, I still need some way of shutting down the system, and
>> getting it to start again (without having to reboot using the
>> on/off key after suspending)

Hitting the power button once on my HP laptop works to shutdown the
system cleanly.
You can also make a launcher on your desktop with the poweroff command
and it will shut down the system cleanly.

I cannot suspend either. I used to be able to suspend and the computer
would flash the light as in suspend. Whenever I would try to resume
though, the laptop display was blank and the keyboard input did not seem
to take.
Later, I was testing hibernate and the computer would cycle for a short
time, then come back to life. The symptoms showed that it could not find
a swap partition. Swapon -s showed I had an active partition. I however
reformatted the swap and changed to device to /dev/hda5 in fstab rather
than the SWAP-hda5 label it had previously. Now suspend will seem to
take. It errors on recovery from the suspend state specifying that it
could not find a suspend signature on swap and will not resume. Go
figure! (my fault for the reformatting swap additional problem)

> Become super user $ su - psswd: ****** # shutdown -h now and/or #
> poweroff should work as usual(from command line/terminal) in case the
> options are removed from KDE/GNOME.

poweroff does not require root privileges on my system anyway.

> Best Regards,
> Antonio
>
>> I guess what I'm saying is maybe we need to leave shutdown and
>> restart in place until such time as suspend is actually working as
>> expected.

They should be available regardless. Who is to determine if one uses the
laptop once a month or several times a day. The user should have all
options available and decide which mode to set their computer into.

>> Rodd

Jim