Fast user switching from Davyd's GNOME 2.14 preview

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:07:14 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Yes - basically, without finding a good, solid solution to device
> ownership (groups aren't it), having fast user switching on is
> very problematic.

Is it even possible to enumate the types problematic devices?
Assuming we are talking about multiple users at the physical console.

hot-(un)pluggable devices that users have physical access certaintly
share a common level of "ownership" complexity.

But internal non-hotpluggable devices would have different constraints
would they not from an ownership pov?

And then of course there's crap thats in between.. items which are
technically hot-pluggable but which because of the specific
situation.. none of the console users can actually unplug as part of
non-malicious usage. (but I guess the administrator could mark those
devices in some way as special so they are treated as non-hotpluggable
items)

-jef