Someting Strange - no gnome-session!

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 20 20:52:14 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 2/20/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> This seems like a problem on the part of yum or depenencies, in that
>> I couldn't remove a package without removing a number of packages I
>> really needed.
>
> Unless you can give us specific details as to what you exactly did to
> start the uninstall of packages.. there isn't much to discuss as to
> whether or not there is a "problem" that needs to be fixed.
 >>>Can you tell us what command you used; it still might require
following up !
That's why I asked tatxe, because neither my command history nor
/var/log/yum.log list the package as being removed. But with weird stuff
on fedora-test/devel, I assumed that it wasn't my fault, until some days
later (at which point I don't remember what I did exactly nor even how).

from rpmpkgs.1: @2006-02-11
gnome-session-2.12.0-5.i386.rpm
from rpmpkgs: @2006-02-21
gnome-session-2.13.91-1.i386.rpm

In yum.log:
Feb 12 10:35:42 Installed: gftp.i386 1:2.0.18-3.2
.. no match for gnome-session between above and below
Feb 20 22:19:34 Updated: gnome-session.i386 2.13.91-1

Note: last night feb20, I worked out what was going on
(gnome-session...rpm not listed in rpm -qa|grep session|sort, but was on
another machine.

In pup.log:
  no mention of it; it's almost useless since there is no date/time and
seems limited in size :(

I was getting normal desktop (gnome/nautilus) during the week, stopped
working after a reboot on Sunday after pup updates. (machine is off
overnight most days).

> yum remove evolution for me does not attempt to remove gnome-session
Perhaps I unselected any evolution* named items within pup, or maybe I
did a yum remove evolution*, I just don't remember. Any hints at finding
/ getting at the info regarding this stored on my disk ?

> similarly on my system yum remove pirut(the package that includes pup)
>  causes no obviously egregious removals that  would cause
> gnome-session to be uninstalled.
>
> So unless  you can give us a specific set of actions which cause the
> removal of gnome-session, there really isn't much to discussion. The
> packages you present as potential problems can be removed from my
> system without a problem.
Funny however, how at least two people managed to achieve the same thing :-)
DaveT.