Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 21 19:39:29 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> James Jones wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Berry wrote:

>>> I'm afraid you chose a bad example here; you can configure that :-)
>>> (thankfully).  I cannot stand the spacial view in Nautilus either.
>>> Open up a Nautilus window, Edit -> Preferences -> Behavior[tab] ->
>>> Always open in browser windows[checkbox].
>>>

>> Yes, but... wasn't that only added after users raised a major ruckus
>> about the imposition of spatial mode?
I guess there would be no use then in requesting either fedora or
upstream nautilus to default to hierarchical mode rather than the
current mode. The current mode quickly covers users desktops with
windows for now reason...

The first thing we do at work for all our clients with a new Windows
install is to modify the registry so that by default clicking any
explorer icon / my computer etc. opens up explorer with the tree view on
the left, and turn the show folder path as the explorer window title.
This really helps people to take notice of where they are saving files
on both local and shared disks; whether related to particular jobs, or
product info, it helps people put files in the right place without
creating desktop garbage (upteen open explorer single folder view
windows, that they then have to close).

If we wanted Windows faults, I'm sure we would just buy Windows, rather
than having the opportunity of smart / effective defaults in Fedora.

If it can't be a permanent change, perhaps the post install
configuration could have this as an added option:
Show folders using the efficient / smart single nautilus window v's
Show folders using microsoft's dodgy and time wasting method :-)

DaveT.