FC5T3 x86-64 terse install report (with one install bug?)

Josh islifefun1975 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 10:37:32 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I been a linux user since RH 5.0 days and couldn't
wait to test FC5T3. The anaconda installer is very
very slick ;-)

Downloaded all 5 CDROMS for installation on AMD64 box.

1. Started installation from external USD DVDRW drive.

2. Disk 1 boots and after the inital steps asks me for
install location (Local CDROM, Local Harddrive, NFS,
FTP and HTTP)
3. Selected Local CDROM drive. Anaconda complains that
no Fedora CD was found.
5. I go back to previous menu. Installation continues
with a prompt to scan the disk.
6. Skipped CD testing. Install seem to continue
7. Anaconda terminates installation and prepares for
shutdown. On debug screen, there is a message about
segfault.

I disconnect external USB DVDRW drive and continue
installation with internal DVD drive. Installation is
successful.

I would like to know if anyone has been successful in
installing from external USB drives, After confirming
this to be a bug, I will file a bug#.

Other trivial improvements to anaconda could be,
1. While configuring network devices for static IP,
the cursor should jump automatically to the next IP
bit. This needs a simple TAB now, but automated is
nice.

2. After entering the static IP, the netmask should be
automatically populated to 255.255.255.0. User can
change this if needed.

I know these are trivial but when installing the
distribution a hundred times at various locations,
this will be a little bit easier on the installer.

I will be installing FC5T3 on a few more systems and
laptops next week :)

Josh