Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 23 05:28:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:55:49PM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Speaking of DRI, I have an ATI 200M.  Using clean install of xorg driver, I
> see this:
>
> (WW) RADEON(0): Enabling DRM support
>
> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

This happens to work for me, with r300 Radeon card, provided I have

        Option      "AGPMode" "8"

line in a "Device" section of xorg.conf.  Otherwise it fails (or at
least it did the last time I tried with this line commented out).
You also need mesa-libGL and mesa-libGLU packages installed.

Results of a failure are more severe in my case than just DRI
disabled.  Namely a blank screen and a computer which has to be
rebooted by a remote access.  Other values that 8 are also bad.

    Michal