FC4 to FC5T3 Update

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Thu Feb 23 22:50:17 UTC 2006

Initial impression:
Most things came through.  Some did not.  The /etc/sysconfig/network was
overwritten; the hostname of the system was lost. The /etc/hosts file
diappeared without backup, the new file containing only the localhost line.

I don't know if it has bearing, but I requested vnc monitoring during the
installation.  It did not work, but this was my first try with it.  It did
bring up the network configuration dialog.  i supplied the static ip and
non-standard gateway settings.  But the hostname dialog did not run. i
really didn't expect it, since I requested an upgrade.  The information was
already booked in the system.

I did not expect the upgrade to handle the surplus repository definitions.
Looking into /etc/yum.repos.d/
[jpearson at localhost yum.repos.d]$ ls
atrpms.repo                     fedora.repo.rpmsave
dag.repo                        fedora-updates.repo
dries.repo                      fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
Edward.repo                     fedora-updates-testing.repo
Edward.repo~                    fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew
fedora-core.repo                freevo.repo
fedora-development.repo         freshrpms.repo
fedora-extras-development.repo  freshrpms.repo~
fedora-extras.repo              livna.repo
fedora-extras.repo.rpmnew

It looks like most of the changes are available.  Some notification of
rpmnew, and rpmsave, might be useful.  Now that I look:

[jpearson at localhost ~]$ locate rpmnew
/etc/ldap.conf.rpmnew
/etc/localtime.rpmnew
/etc/rndc.key.rpmnew
/etc/updatedb.conf.rpmnew
/etc/vimrc.rpmnew
/etc/X11/fs/config.rpmnew
/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf.rpmnew
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf.rpmnew
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers.rpmnew
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo.rpmnew
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew

Thank you for not resetting locate, localtime, logwatch and vncservers.

[jpearson at localhost ~]$ locate rpmsave
/etc/named.conf.rpmsave
/etc/updatedb.conf.rpmsave
/etc/X11/X.rpmsave
/etc/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf.rpmsave
/etc/alsa/pcm/dsnoop.conf.rpmsave
/etc/hotplug/usb.usermap.rpmsave
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia.rpmsave
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo.rpmsave
/usr/share/a2ps/afm/fonts.map.rpmsave

I don't routinely scan for these modifications, although I probably should.

The loss of livna supplied nvidia drivers was transparent.  I am impressed
with the care that implies.

I am ready to do the first update.  I think that I will try pup.

-Jpearson