"install everything" and @everything dumped

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Fri Feb 24 02:27:53 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote:
> I was about to submit a bug report that neither does the installer
> simply allow my to throw the full contents of the DVD onto my disk
> anymore, nor do any of my kickstart files work with FC5 anymore, when
> I found that this was not a bug or a temporary shortcoming, but was
> done on purpose (at least according to a post by R. Sundaram which
> sounded quite authoritative).
Indeed.

> It can't be sane to force a user to have to select the bits from the
> CDs/DVDs. The majority of the users want to get the beast on their
> system and see what's up with it. The older generation like me browse
> the man pages and /usr/share/doc, the younger use the graphical
> menus. Neither want to start poking with depsolvers into rpm metadata
> for fishing interesting software and play CD jokey afterwards.
Actually this is exactly what i do when i install a new distro these
days. Be it ubuntu or fedora i open up a cli/gui to interrogate the
repos and have a looksee. The benefit being that you only need 1 install
disc and you you can see what else is worth the bandwidth. Modern gui
tools even break it down a number of ways for you complete with
descriptions and dependencies required. So i can make an educated
decision if amarok is worth all the kde baggage or eclipse is worth
having to install tomcat5.

I'm not saying there aren't any valid reasons for an install everything
option im just saying I don't use it. But then again i'm part of the
group that apparently doesnt exist at all to begin with. -mf