"install everything" and @everything dumped

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Feb 25 09:27:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:46:18PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 23:58 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Be it as it may, both items need resurrection, and it looks like both
> > will be back.
>
> The everything install will NOT be coming back in the UI.  Globbing will
> be supported for the %packages section of kickstart which, as a side
> effect.

missing half a sentence or was there a "which" too much?

> Please do everyone a favor by reading the (extremely long and tedious)
> horse.

Personally I'm already happy if the kickstart input support will be
restored, but the thread is 243 messages long drifting around into
off-topic threads (at least wrt to the install-all option) and the
couple of messages I picked I hoped to be revealing (I used the author
to choose) didn't disclose the real benefit of not allowing everything
installs anymore.

It wouldn't hurt to summarize the reasoning in a sentence. If the
technical bits are there (which obviously will be if it will be
supported for kickstart input), then why deprive the user from using
the gui/tui to do that? How should the typical user perform an
effective everything install? Should he start learning kickstart?

It's not a dead horse, there is demand for this feature, and the 243
mail thread on fedora-test-list will be repeated in larger scales on
fedora-list once FC5 is out, and will drive the last of us out of
fedora-list.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net