Problems under gnome desktop with today's rawhide updates... can anyone confirm?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:51:10 UTC 2006

Just applied today's updates... and rebooted and ive seeing so odd
behavior in the gnome desktop

1) gnome put me into a "failsafe" gnome desktop according to post
login screen dialogs.. not sure what that means other than my startup
programs didnt run. Never seem this failure mode before so I'm not
really sure how to diagnose.

2) xchat will not start for me  unless i run it under strace.
run xchat from the terminal.. window pops up and disappears and i get
a segfault message after a number of glib warnings

run strace xchat from the terminal and it magically works.
is this a weird race condition?

3) network manager segfaults on desktop login and using the
preferences dialog i can no longer get the icon to appear in the
notification area

anyone else seeing similar issues?

-jef