2.6.15-1.1955_FC5 memory leak?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Feb 26 11:00:45 UTC 2006

I recently setup a server on the Internet in a fairly default FC5T2
configuration.  I had it running kernel 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5 for 9 days when I
noticed that it had apparently run out of kernel memory.  All processes were
highly swapped and the OOM killer was killing processes (by the time I
noticed the problem most services had been killed).

The machine is a P3 with 256M of RAM, it has full net access with no firewall
(iptables is used in a fairly default configuration but there is nothing in
front of the machine protecting it).

Is there a known kernel memory leak in 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5?

The machine in question has BIND, Postfix, Amavis + clamav, and Postgrey
installed.  However as it doesn't yet have an MX record pointing to is there
has been little use (some DNS traffic is all that it would get).

I tried rebooting the machine and it crashed.  I guess that the OOM killer
killed something that was needed for a reboot.  Tomorrow when I get it
running again I will upgrade it to the latest kernel.  Let me know if there
are any tests I should perform if this happens again (unfortunately I can't
get a net-dump server in there but disk-dump is an option I guess).