Burning ISOs

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 13:22:06 UTC 2006

On 02/25/2006 10:31 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Leon Stringer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install FC5t3 on another computer, but I can't burn the
>> ISOs.
>>
>> I've tried burning from GNOME and using cdrecord, e.g.
>>
>> cdrecord dev=/dev/hda -eject -v -dao FC-5-Test3-i386-disc1.iso
>>
>> (I ran this as root as it complained about setpriority when I didn't).
>>
>> But on the resulting CDs some files can be copied but other's result in
>> I/O errors. Last time I posted about verifying CDs I was told that this
>> process was unreliable.
>>
>> So we have unreliable CD burning and no reliable way to verify them.
>
> Yes, rather irritating. ;)
>
>> And I have a half-installed computer.
>>
>> Does anyone have any tips for successful burning of ISOs? (I'm burning
>> from an up-to-date FC5 test installation).
>
> I'll get burned at the stake for this answer, but in lieu of additional
> conditions being specified which limit the number of available responses
> to a specific range....
>
> Use Nero Burning ROM in Windows XP.  It more or less "just works" every
> time.

And where do I get this stuff? Anybody giving free Windows XP out there? ;-)

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had completetly opposite
experiences to Mike -- lots of problem when burning on Windows (well,
truth is it was some 5 years back I run any Windows on my boxes :) and
only when I eventually switched completely to Linux I had 100% reliable
burning. The only failures were to due to bad media or myself really
that my experience since Mandrake 6 through RH 7.3, RH 9 and FC3 on SCSI
Teac 4x recorder and later on Pioneer 105 DVD recorder.

I felt I neede to add my comment to this rather depressing thread. Hope
your problems will get fixed, guys!

Dariusz