WiFi card detected as Ethernet

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 16:23:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 09:04 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I have a student who is having similar issues, except I can't seem to
> get the card recognized at all. He has a Gateway laptop with an Intel
> Calexico series WiFi card in it.
>
> Documentation I found on it says the Calexico card uses the ipw2100 or
> possibly ipw2200 drivers. I installed the firmware for these from Livna,
> but couldn't find kernel module drivers for it. ATRPMs has kernel
> drivers, but they seem to require Axel's custom kernels. Since I'd
> already configured Livna for other things, I didn't want to do too much
> mixing of 3rd party repos - it would only confuse a student who is
> clearly impressed with Fedora, but still very much in learning mode.
>
> Ideas? I'm still scratching my head as to why the card doesn't show up
> as anything recognizable, and why Livna has firmware RPMs but no kernel
> modules.

What are the PCI IDs of the card?  You can probably get them by:

lspci | grep Intel

and look for the PRO/Wireless stuff.

However, drivers for the ipw2100 and ipw2200 are already built into the
Fedora Core kernels, so you shouldn't need to get them from anywhere.
You only need firmware (which should placed in /lib/firmware) to get
them working.

Dan