WiFi card detected as Ethernet

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Feb 26 21:58:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 09:04:48AM -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 09:48 -0600, Caerie Houchins wrote:
> > I have the intel card wireless card too.  It will show up as a wired
> > ethernet card untill you install the ipw2100 firmware.  Some repos
> > have the RPM but its probably legally questionable and not included in
> > the core distro.  Ran accross this on my Dell 6000 laptop.

No, there is no legal issue here. It is just the "don't place non-GPL
compatible bits on media with GPL". RHEL for instance ships the
firmware on a separate CD.

> ATRPMs has kernel drivers, but they seem to require Axel's custom
> kernels.

No, they don't require non-Fedora Core kernels, all Fedora Core, RHEL,
RHL kernels (the lateast at least) are supported as well as some
ATrpms specific kernels, too.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net