Running GLUT programs with nv driver

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 22:58:27 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am still trying to run GLUT programs on my rawhide box with the nv
driver (6600 GT).  It looks like the execstack issue with Mesa has
finally been cleared up as I no longer get an error to that effect.
This is what I do get when I try to run a simple GLUT program:
$ ./gltest
freeglut (./gltest): Unable to create direct context rendering for
window 'An Example OpenGL Program'
This may hurt performance.
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  29

I get the "direct context rendering" warning on other systems, but the
programs still run on the systems with older non-3d ATI cards.  Does
anyone know if software rendering will work with an nVidia card and
the nv driver?

Jonathan