2.6.15-1.1955_FC5 memory leak?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 01:17:37 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 19:29, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Steve Grubb later said he's found some sort of leak, and it will be
> > fixed. I am now running stock 1977 kernel, will wait and see if it leaks.
>
> I'm now running that version too.  I guess I'll have an idea of how good it
> is in about 9 days time.

Depending on your system you might not make it 9 days. The best way to avoid
the memory leak is to disable audit (auditctl -e 0)...especially if its a
remote computer. oom killer might zap sshd.

> Of course there is the possibility that the memory leak was triggered by
> some sort of DOS attack in which case the attacker might just target someone
> else's machine and mine might stay working even with a buggy kernel.  :(

No, it was 2 mallocs not being freed on some syscalls. lspp.10 kernel is
building right now and I'll update the yum repo tomorrow am. I might put the
kernel at http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/files/lspp in a few minutes where
it can be retrieved and installed manually.

-Steve