Not privileged to mount CDs

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Feb 27 13:58:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 14:52 -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:37:14 -0800, Thomas Taylor wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 26 February 2006 04:59, Paul Dickson wrote:
> > > When I place a non-blank CD in my CDROM drive, I get the message "You are
> > > not privileged to mount the volume '<volume-name>'."
> > >
> > > What do I need to do to be privileged?
> > >
> > > This might be new as google doesn't find anything immediately relevant.
> > >
> > > 	-Paul
> >
> > Check "man fstab" for enteries in the fourth field.  "user" should work for
> > this.
>
> /dev/scd0  /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed,user 0 0
>
> Thanks for the idea, but it doesn't help.

Try removing that line and it should actually work though it seems a bit
backwards.. let us know..

(yes, gnome-mount uses hal to mount and (as a security measure) hal will
refuse to mount if there is already an entry in the /etc/fstab file -
regardless of whether they contain pamconsole and/or user. Looks like we
should clean up after fstab-sync - some care to file a bug?).

    David