Problems with NIS/YP and seemingly endless do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 15:34:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:59:25AM +0000, Bevis R W King wrote:
> Has anyone else seen a problem with NIS/YP on FC5test3 (x86_64 version,
> but probably generic) generating almost endless error messages of:
>
>         do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

I had a similarly weird NIS problem with a Raw Hide install of a few
weeks ago.  In my case (see the mail archive) ypbind would never receive
anything from the server at all, so failed to bind, logging that same
RPC timeout message.  I take it that much does work reliably for you?

I've since re-installed the box from a newer Raw Hide and it "Just
Works" again.  FWIW, package versions are now:

ypbind-1.19-0.i386
glibc-2.3.90-38.i686
kernel-2.6.15-1.1915_FC5.i686

joe