New tester

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:04:15 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, shrek-m at gmx.de <shrek-m at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 27.02.2006 09:38, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > I have just setup a machine solely for the purpose of testing, I shall
> > append the specs to this post. For now, I have yummed to
> > updates-released, adn then updates-testing. What do I do as a tester?
> > I have no familiarity with the processs, just the will to help.
>

> you should know  https://bugzilla.redhat.com

Check : already filled a few reports in my Linux life

you should have a lot of time and a good internet-connection

Question mark : still don't think there are enough hours in a day

Check : On a university network, all p2p is blocked however, and test
machine conencts to internet through squid on my FC4 workstation. But
bandwidth is normally not a problem, not sure for latency.

you should have a good  lug=linux user group

Question mark : local lug discussions are too often off-topic, but can be
very helpful

you should know how to quote

Check

you should not be a mimosa

Question mark : somewhat clueless as to meaning in this context

you should know  rpm, vi, rescue mode, askmethod, interactive mode,
> runlevel 3,  ... in other words = how to help yourself

Check
Check
Question mark : never needed it as yet
Check
Check
Check
Check : often no other option exists

you should have a good social environment or a lot of beer

Question mark : does a large collection of music and frequent visits to /.
count?

your family/friends should not fall in panic if you are disappeared for
> several days behind the internet, bugzilla, man-pages, ...

Check :  long since  fixed

do not try to explain your windows-users-friends  what you are doing and
> why you prefer linux over windows

Check : lesson learnt the hard way

do not try to explain your doctor why you do not know the so called real
> time, real date, your real name, real actual news, ...

Check : solution is to not go to doctor

you should not ask yourself why you are spending such a lot of time for
> and with linux for free

Check : already know the answer

you should always have a plan to go back in the so called normal life

but ... what do you want to test ?

> - older releases see  http://fedoralegacy.org/
> rhl7.3  updates
> rhl9  updates
> fc1  updates
> fc2  updates
> fc3  updates
>
> - actual release updates
> fc4 updates testing
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/4/

This is what the machine is currently working on.

- new release
> fc5test3
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/4.92/
> + development
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/
> ==> fc5
> and later  fc5 updates testing
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/5/

Now realising that there is a difference, would appericate quick
instructions on how to do this.

- rawhide / development
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/
>

> - next release fc6 ?  http://fedora.redhat.com/About/schedule/
> fc6 test releaeses
> fc6test1 ?
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/5.90/
> fc6test2 ?
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/5.91/
> fc6test3 ?
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/5.92/

Somewhat scary that these already exist, will still to testing FC5.

Thanks for the response. Unless anyone in this thread would rather not, I
intend to sumarise the output of this thread into a page/pages at
fedoraproject.org