FC5, progression or regression?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Feb 28 02:21:16 UTC 2006

Stanton Finley wrote:
> My Intel onboard 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics
> Controller used to run glxgears at blinding speeds with FC4 and I didn't
> even have to install a driver for it on my eMachines T5026.

The driver comes with FC5 of course.  Not sure why you think you need
to install a driver elsewhere.

> It just worked great out of the box on FC4. Now with FC5 (in the absence
 > of glxgears which apparently I can't get on FC5)

Except that you are wrong, and glxgears is part of FC5.

> my 3d graphics and
> screensavers run jerkily and seem sluggish. Firefox 1.5 rendering time
> is abysmal compared to Firefox 1.0.7 on FC4 on this same machine. It has
> a 3 GHz P4 processor for heaven's sake. It should run FC5 like the wind.

That's why it is a test release, to find bugs.  Don't use test releases
if you expect flawless OS operation and perfect performance.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.