rpm verify fails bigtime - prelink errors x1000+

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 11:44:41 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> The machine i'm on is a FC5test2 install kept up2date with pup.
>
> On recommendation from someone on the list to verify the rpm install
> using: rpm -Va, I found a few items: mainly missing files-
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/probeCard.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/soundcard.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/soundcardBackend.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/system-config
> I guess this could be a problem so I: rpm -Uvh --force
> system-config-soundcard(-v currently installed). This cleared the
> problem up, ie no result for rpm -V sy-co-so...
>
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/browser
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/browser/content
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/browser/skin
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/cookie
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/cookie/content
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/editor
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/editor/content
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global/content
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global/skin
> Repeat same with mozilla.
> Repeated the rpm -V mozilla, and same files are still marked missing!
>
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/dpiDialog.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/monitorDialog.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/screenSizePreview.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/videocardDialog.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.pyc
>  >retired after a few days: and pup updates-
> [root at davidthome packages]# rpm -V system-config-display
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/dpiDialog.pyc
> .M.....T.   /usr/share/system-config-display/monitorDialog.pyc
> .M.....T.   /usr/share/system-config-display/screenSizePreview.pyc
> .M.....T.   /usr/share/system-config-display/videocardDialog.pyc
> .M.....T.   /usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.pyc
> missing     /usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.pyc
> <
>
> Between about wednesday last week (first version) and the weekend the
> system-config-display files went from missing to modified !
> Is this to be expected ?
> Why would an installed python code be different to what came out of the
> RPM ?
>
> prelink: /usr/sbin/bonobo-activation-sysconf: at least one of file's
> dependencies has changed since prelinking
> S.?......   /usr/sbin/bonobo-activation-sysconf
> prelink: /usr/lib/libdmx.so.1.0.0: at least one of file's dependencies
> has changed since prelinking
> S.?......   /usr/lib/libdmx.so.1.0.0
> prelink: /usr/bin/nc: at least one of file's dependencies has changed
> [...]

The prelink message is very hard to determine what missing components
you have from terminal output. I redirected the output to a file and
ended up with the attached.
The prelink messages to terminal are not directly from rpm. I believe
prelink is in conjunction, since the output is not contained in the
redirected output.

Also, you must be root to see chrooted and firewall or high security
related files in rpm output.

What I do is to located packages that fail, rpm -e --justdb the entry
and then yum install the package again. System-config-<function-name>
seem to be high on the failure listings.

Jim

--
Well fix that in the next (upgrade, update, patch release, service pack).