Burning ISOs

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 28 14:19:46 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 07:44, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On 2/26/06, Dariusz J. Garbowski <thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 02/26/2006 04:08 PM, Ben Steeves wrote:
> > >DVDs are sadly another matter, but even then my
> > > failure rate has been about 5-8%, not too shabby really, and
> > > that was on an older DVD burner.
> >
> > I've had mixed results with DVD burning due to questionable media
> > quality. The moment I switched to Taiyo Yuden-based Verbatims I
> > have 100% success rate! Make sure you buy good quality media
> > (e.g. not all Verbatims are good either!) -- see "Blank Media &
> > Quality FAQ"
>
> Ironically, with my older LG single-layer burner, I burned a lot
> more DVD coasters with brand-name Memorex discs than I did with
> no-name discs.  On my new Samsung dual-layer burner, I haven't
> burned any coasters* except when something external happened (like
> droping the X server out from under the shell running the burn --
> accidentally of course :-).

   cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -atip   .... with a blank in your burner
will return who actually manufactured the media. "Brand" names don't
make theirs, they just add their logo on the label side. This adds a
little value to generic Cdr's as it improves reflectability slightly,
an makes the discs much more durable.  Generics are just as good as
Brand names, if they're for temp storage, or won't be handled much.
They are afterall, mostly the same manufacturers as the Brand names
an much cheaper.

    Memorex are readily available here close to where I live. In the
past most 100 spindles were Prodisc, a good vendor. Lately the last
half dozen spindles have been an 'average' quality vendor,

Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 22
Manufacturer: Ritek Co.

   The Taiyo Yuden blanks that Dariusz mentioned are very good media,
probly the best.   I've also bought Brand name 100-spindles in the
past that were comprised of blanks made by several different vendors.
Some of them were Bahre, a non-orange forum Indian vendor... poor
quality. I bought a 100 spindle of Imation recently, only to find
they were this crap.

> *with single-layer media, that is.  I have yet to try dual-layer
> media.
>
> PS: I use growisofs from the command line for all my DVD burning
> needs, and cdrecord for CD burning (also from the shell).  I don't
> need no steenkin' GUI.  :-)

   Same here. IMO, most peoples problems are because they depend on a
GUI without really knowin what they, or the GUI is doin.

   As to the OP's subject, I burn iso's with 'biso Name_of_the.iso'
(alias biso='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=16
dev=ATA:1,1,0 -dao').  The most important option being -dao. 16x is
1/3 speed for my Plextor an the media I use (52x).
--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas