Inclusion of the adutux module?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Tue Feb 28 17:15:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, March 1, 2006 4:05 am, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 04:02 +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What are the requirements to try and get a module added to the Fedora
>> kernel?
>>
>> I use a USB device to control relays and detect digital IO on various
>> equipment and it would be great to see support for these in the kernel -
>> so I don't have to hack away for hours to get it working.
>>
>> The driver is based on the lego driver - so I don't see any reasons why
>> it
>> wouldn't be allowed...
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> have you posted it to the linux-kernel mailinglist for review and
> inclusion? or even the linux-usb list ?

I can't say that I have. I've never done this kind of thing before. The
adutux module was adapted from the Lego Tower module by John Homppi, and
was submitted to the linux-usb maintainers for inclusion in the kernel.
This was rejected because the generic USB-HID driver should work - however
(the big however!), the usb-hid module expects all devices to have a
bulk-out endpoint - which the ADU series do not have. This means that no
amount of tweaking AT ALL will make this work with the USB-HID driver.

The problem I have is that I'm certainly no coder - and I think John has
given up trying to get it into the kernel. I would like to see this change
however.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9017 0597 - 0412 935 897

Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.