FC5, progression or regression?

Partha Bagchi pb at partha.com
Tue Feb 28 23:47:20 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Stanton Finley wrote:
>>> My Intel onboard 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics
>>> Controller used to run glxgears at blinding speeds with FC4 and I
>>> didn't
>>> even have to install a driver for it on my eMachines T5026.
>>
>> The driver comes with FC5 of course.  Not sure why you think you need
>> to install a driver elsewhere.
>>
>>> It just worked great out of the box on FC4. Now with FC5 (in the
>>> absence
>>  > of glxgears which apparently I can't get on FC5)
>>
>> Except that you are wrong, and glxgears is part of FC5.
>
> glx-utils by chance? I thought that the program was gone altogether
> myself.
>
> yum install glx-utils
>
> glxgears and glxinfo are now both present.
>
> Jim

except ....
glxgears
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  22

uname -a : 2.6.15-1.1977_FC5 #1 SMP Thu Feb 23 14:55:24 EST 2006 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Video:  ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) (not
shared memory)